a blog hop i co-host
with the sweet-as-sugar-cookies
lisa from shine your light!
this week i'm sharing my
1 1/3 C shortening
1 1/2 C sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 TBS + 2 tsp milk
4 C all-purpose flour
1 TBS baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1. using the paddle attachment of an electric mixer, cream together the shortening, sugar, lemon zest & vanilla.
2. add the eggs and milk to the sugar & mix well.
3. sift together the flour, baking powder & salt. add to the liquid ingredients & mix just to combine.
4. divide the dough in half, wrap & chill for 1 hour.
5. preheat oven to 375 f.
6. roll out to 1/4" thickness on a well-floured surface. use cookie cutters to cut the desired shapes. place on parchment lined sheet pans & bake 6-8 minutes. remove from sheet & cool on a wire rack.
for royal icing:
2 lbs. powdered sugar
1.5 oz. meringue powder
8 oz. cool water
1. use an electric mixer with a whip attachment to mix ingredients until shiny, thick & fluffy. store covered when not in use as it will dry out almost immediately.
helpful decorating tips:
- i used #1 & #2 tips from wilton... even the 2's were a little large!
- have things handy: a damp paper towel, toothpicks, a place to set your decorated cookies, etc.
- have fun & go nuts! :D
first, this is my grandma's sugar cookie recipe.
i love decorating cookies
& can't wait to do it again when my mom gets here in a week!
i think i'll go for more traditional colors next time.
santa will appreciate it. ;)
now it's your turn -
link up those recipes & food posts!
how mangia mondays work:
. add a link to your recipe or food post & visit some others who have linked up before you .
. link back to mangia mondays anywhere on your blog .
. thanks for not linking up to giveaways or items you're selling .
. help spread the word about mangia mondays by sharing this post with others .
until next time,