a blog hop that my sweet friend
lisa from shine your light
& i co-host each week.
this week i'm sharing
1 whole chicken, cut into 6 pieces (2 breasts, 2 legs, 2 thighs. alternatively, you could do 8 pieces & cut the breasts in half & leave the wings attached, but no one eats the wings around here.)
1 C flour
1/2 TBS salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/8 C oil
1/2 onion, sliced thin
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 stalk of celery, sliced
1 carrot, peeled & diced
1/2 TBS garlic, minced
1/4 C white wine
14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 TBS tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp dried basil
1. combine flour, salt & pepper in a large bowl. dredge the chicken with the seasoned flour. shake off excess.
2. heat the oil in a large saute pan (or, if you're like me & enjoy 1-pot-cooking, use your dutch oven!). add the chicken pieces & brown well over high heat. as the chicken pieces are browned, remove them from the pan & set aside. repeat with remaining chicken.
3. pour off some of the oil from the pan, leaving a couple of TBS. add the onion, green pepper, celery, carrot & garlic to the pan. sweat over low heat until nearly tender.
4. add the wine, tomatoes, tomato paste, & herbs. bring to a boil. simmer about 5 minutes.
5. add chicken back to the pot. cover & reduce heat to low. cook 30-45 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked.
6. when the chicken is done, remove from pan. remove bay leaf. skim some of the oil from the sauce. reduce sauce to desired consistency over high heat. adjust seasonings if necessary & pour sauce over chicken.
we served ours with green beans, roasted red peppers, & bacon.
man, oh man!
now it's your turn -
link up those recipes & food posts!