what happens when you buy bacon at costco?
you have a lot of bacon.
these maple bacon cupcakes are a delicious way to use up some of that bacon!
maple bacon cupcakes
adapted from bacontoday.com
4 1/2 Tbs butter, room temperature
1/2 Tbs bacon drippings (left in the fridge to become solid)
1/4 C + 1 Tbs brown sugar
1/4 C maple syrup
1 1/4 C self rising flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 C milk
1/4 C cooked & drained bacon, minced
1. preheat oven to 325 f. line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
2. beat together butter & bacon drippings until light and creamy. add the brown sugar & maple syrup & beat until well combined.
3. add the egg and beat until incorporated.
4. sift together the flour, salt, baking soda & powder.
5. add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture & mix well, then add 1/2 the milk & mix well. repeat until all the milk & flour are incorporated (make sure you end with the dry ingredients).
6. fold in the bacon. taste and add more syrup, flour, or milk if needed for desired taste. keep in mind the maple frosting is very sweet, & that maple syrup in large amounts can break a cake batter.
*i added another Tbs of milk & syrup, as my batter was very thick.
7. divide batter evenly, filling 1/2 - 3/4 full. bake 18-22 minutes.
*18 minutes was perfect for me.
1/2 C butter
1/4 C maple syrup
2 C powdered sugar
turbinado sugar, for garnish
course grain sea salt, for garnish
bacon crumbles, for garnish
1. in a large bowl, beat syrup & butter until combined. add the sugar, a bit at a time, & whip until combined.
2. transfer frosting to a 1qt. ziploc bag. cut the tip from one side & pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
3. garnish with sugar, salt, & bacon.
yum, yum, yum.
though, i think next time i make them, i'll make a basic vanilla cake and add maple syrup to that instead of the vanilla & some liquid. while this cake was excellent, it was very dense & kind of floury. it'll just take some experimentation!!
hope you have a great saturday!
until next time,
i'm linking this post to