the weekend is quickly approaching,
and i'm sure you're looking for an easy brunch idea.
even if you're not,
these recipes are too good not to try!
Baked Gruyère & Sausage Omelet
butter, for greasing dish
2 Tbs olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1/2 lb. turkey sausage, casings removed
8 large eggs
1/3 c whole milk
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 c gruyère, grated
1/4 c + 2 Tbs fresh italian (flat leaf) parsley, chopped
1. preheat oven to 425 f.
2. lightly butter an 8x8" baking dish.
3. heat oil in medium skillet over med-high heat. add onion and cook until translucent. add sausage and cook until brown. set aside to cool.
4. in a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper, to taste, until smooth. add bell pepper, 1 c of cheese and 1/4 c parsley. stir in onion mixture. pour into prepared dish.
5. sprinkle with remaining cheese & bake for 20-25 minutes.
6. garnish with remaining parsley.
*super delicious if you add so chopped green chili!
*make sure you drain your excess liquid/oil/grease from your sausage and onion mixture before combining with egg mixture. if you don't, the bottom of the omelet could turn out soggy.
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 c sugar
2 xl egg yolks, room temperature
2 Tbs ricotta cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
2 sheets (1 box) puff pastry
1 egg + 1 Tbs water, beaten for wash
1. preheat oven to 400 f. line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. cream together cream cheese, and sugar until smooth. add egg yolks, ricotta, vanilla, salt, and lemon zest and mix just until combined. don't whip!
3. unfold 1 sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured board and roll out to 10x10". cut into quarters.
4. place heaping Tbs of filling into the middle of each square. brush border of each pastry with egg wash and fold 2 opposite corners to the center, brushing and overlapping the corners of each pastry so they firmly stick together. brush tops with wash, sprinkle with turbinado (raw) sugar.
*if you enjoy almonds, you could sprinkle slivered almonds on the top, too!
5. refrigerate 15 minutes.
6. bake for 20 minutes, rotating the pan once during baking.
yum yum yum!
i had a pretty boring day.
cleaned out our junk closet
all. day. long.
please tell me that i'm not the only one with a junk closet?
i feel better now that it's clean...
buuuuut now i have all this stuff.
and i don't know what to do with it.
now, this is the part where i would normally leave you with a super amazing totally awesome webcam photo of the dowling family, but tonight:
dowling family, holla!