well, last night didn't go as planned.
we stayed in.
rented a movie.
and it was wonderful.
as for today,
we relaxed around the house.
didn't get to meet up with rachel...
but we're hoping for next weekend!
went out to dinner with the inlaws.
we always have a good time with them.
i'm so lucky to have married in to such a great family.
got home from dinner and had the urge to bake!
s'more cupcakes, anyone?
for the cupcakes:
2/3 c all-purpose flour
2 1/2 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 c + 3 Tbs unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3/4 c + 2 Tbs sugar
3 lg eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. preheat oven to 350 f. line a standard 12-cup muffin pan.
2. in a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. place the chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan; stir frequently until melted and smooth, about 5 minutes. remove the bowl from the saucepan; let the mixture cool to room temperature, 10-15 minutes.
3. stir the sugar into the chocolate mixture until combined. stir in the eggs one at a time, beating until combined after each addition, and then beat in the vanilla. gently fold in the flour mixture just until no traces of flour remain; do not overmix.
4. divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. bake until toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out with only a few crumbs attached, 22-24 minutes. let the cupcakes cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. transfer the cupcakes to the wire rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
5. frost the cupcakes & garnish with graham cracker crumbs.
*cupcakes can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days; bring to room temperature before serving.
for the marshmallow frosting:
2 lg egg whites
1 c sugar
6 Tbs water
1 Tbs light corn syrup
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
pinch of salt
1 c miniature marshmallows
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. in a large heatproof bowl, combine the egg whites, sugar, water, corn syrup, cream of tartar, and salt. set the bowl over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan and heat the mixture, whisking constantly, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is very warm to the touch, about 2 minutes. remove the bowl from the saucepan. using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the mixture until it is very warm and soft (but not dry) peaks form, about 2 minutes. reduce the mixer to low and add the marshmallows and vanilla. continue beating until the marshmallows are melted and the frosting is completely smooth, about 2 minutes more. use right away.
until tomorrow, when i bring you a feast fit for kings!