i don't think it's normal for a person to love french onion soup as much as i do.
we went to costco and bought a boatload of onions today
so i could gobble up some soup so i could practice my knife skills...
not only is this soup absolutely, 100% simple and quick to put together, but it's delicious & would be great as either an appetizer or entrée.
french onion soup
1/4 c butter
1 tsp sugar
3 onions, thinly sliced
1 Tbs all purpose flour
1/2 c white wine
32 oz. beef stock
1 sm. loaf sourdough bread, cut into 1" cubes
sliced swiss cheese
1. in a large pot, melt butter. stir in sugar until combined. add onions and cook over medium heat 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
2. stir in the flour until blended with onions and juice from the pan. add wine and beef stock; heat to boiling. cover the pot and reduce heat to low. simmer 10 minutes.
3. spread the bread cubes in an even layer on a sheet pan. toast at 325 f for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted.
4. ladle soup into oven-safe bowls. top with toasted bread and slices of cheese. place soup bowls on a sheet pan for easier handling.
5. bake at 425 f for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
well, the hubs and i are going to watch
if you haven't seen the movies,
they are excellent.
and the hubs loved the books.