well... today was the first day of school.
let me just say,
i love school.
i love learning.
i love the classes i'm taking.
i love my professors.
i love my program.
with that out of the way,
i do not love:
waking up early.
getting dressed to go to school.
putting makeup on.
carrying a heavy backpack/purse.
spending 45 minutes trying to find a parking space
(and then finding said parking space a bajillion miles from where your class is).
realizing that you're missing 3 books.
today, overall, was a great day.
i'm excited for the semester,
not excited about the blisters on my feet,
and happy to be where i am.
today, i have a wonderful recipe to share with you...
probably my new favorite cupcakes.
Banana Caramel Cupcakes
yield: 12 cupcakes
for the cupcakes:
1 1/4 c cake flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 large, ripe banana
2 Tbs sour cream
3/4 c firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 lg egg, at room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1. preheat oven to 350 f. line a muffin pan.
2. sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. in a small bowl, use a fork to mash together the banana and sour cream. in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the brown sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. add the egg, vanilla, and lemon zest and beat until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. add flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined; scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. fold in the banana mixture until just combined; do not overmix.
3. divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling each about 1/2 full. bake until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. let the cupcakes cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
4. frost the cupcakes and garnish with caramel design.
for the caramel swirl banana buttercream:
1 c vegetable shortening
4 c powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 c heavy whipping cream
2 Tbs sour cream
1. in a large bowl, beat all ingredients (except powdered sugar) with an electric mixer. slowly add in powdered sugar. beat until fluffy.
1 1/2 c sugar
1 1/4 c heavy cream
1. in a heavy bottomed, high sided saucepan, cook the sugar over medium-high heat until it begins to melt around the edges, about 5 minutes. stirring with a clean wooden spoon, continue to cook until the sugar is melted and has turned golden amber, about 3 minutes longer.
2. carefully pour the cream down the side of the pan in a slow, steady stream (it will bubble and spatter), stirring constantly until completely smooth. stir in the salt. pour the caramel into a small heatproof bowl and let cool completely before using.
**combine together, just until swirled.
it's been a long day...
and the hubs is playing on the computer...
and muffin is asleep
and rather than disturb them,
tonight = awesome webcam photo of just the mrs.
check out all of the amazing blogs i'm linking this up to.