1. preheat oven to 350 f. line a standard 12-cup muffin pan.
2. in a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. place the chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan; stir frequently until melted and smooth, about 5 minutes. remove the bowl from the saucepan; let the mixture cool to room temperature, 10-15 minutes.
3. stir the sugar into the chocolate mixture until combined. stir in the eggs one at a time, beating until combined after each addition, and then beat in the vanilla. gently fold in the flour mixture just until no traces of flour remain; do not overmix.
4. divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. bake until toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out with only a few crumbs attached, 22-24 minutes. let the cupcakes cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. transfer the cupcakes to the wire rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
5. frost the cupcakes & garnish with s'more sticks.
for the marshmallow frosting:
2 lg egg whites
1 C sugar
6 TBS water
1 TBS light corn syrup
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
pinch of salt
1 C miniature marshmallows
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. in a large heatproof bowl, combine the egg whites, sugar, water, corn syrup, cream of tartar, and salt. set the bowl over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan and heat the mixture, whisking constantly, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is very warm to the touch, about 2 minutes. remove the bowl from the saucepan. using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the mixture until it is very warm and soft (but not dry) peaks form, about 2 minutes. reduce the mixer to low and add the marshmallows and vanilla. continue beating until the marshmallows are melted and the frosting is completely smooth, about 2 minutes more. use right away.
for s'more sticks:
3 graham crackers, broken into fourths
1/2 C dark chocolate chips, melted
mallow bits, for sprinkling
1. line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. dip the end of a graham cracker into the chocolate. set on the baking sheet and sprinkle with mallow bits. repeat with remaining graham crackers.
3. place tray in freezer to set chocolate for 5-10 minutes. remove & use as garnish.
now it's your turn -
link up those recipes & food posts!
how mangia mondays work:
. add a link to your recipe or food post & visit some others who have linked up before you .
. link back to mangia mondays anywhere on your blog .
. thanks for not linking up to giveaways or items you're selling .
. help spread the word about mangia mondays by sharing this post with others .